February 8, 2011

Achacha - the prince of fruit?

I can't remember if it was 1 or 2 years ago that Achacha first appeared in fruit shops. My curiosity was immediately piqued! It turns out that Achacha is AchachairĂș, a Bolivian fruit related to Mangosteen. It does taste like mangosteen, juicy with flesh that is sweet with a bit of tartness. It is truly delicious and worthy to be related to the queen of fruit. Since that first taste, I can't resist buying some whenever I see it in the shops. At the Chinese New Year markets there was an Achacha stall and I bought a bag for $10.

Could it be? A relative to the queen of fruit?
On the paper bag that contained the Achachas, there were a few recipe ideas. One was for an "Achacha Thirst Quencher" made with Achacha skins, water, sugar and (optionally) mint. Apparently in Bolivia it is used as a thirst quencher and hunger suppressant. Looks like I'll have to find out for myself. Naturally there'll be a post about it!

There's no doubt - after one taste, I'm hooked!
What: Achacha
Where: At fruit shops
How much: It varies, depending on where you got it from. I got this 1kg bag for $10

No comments:

Post a Comment